Liferay 6 is a very nice CMS but sometimes it lacks basic features. One of it is Newsletter. If you go through blogs, forum, google a little bit you will see there is a big demand for that functionality. There are even two ticket in JIRA (LEP-2177 and LPS-14426) and one wiki page butit looks like the work is on hold.
So we decided to make our own Newsletter portlet 🙂
It’s a version 1.0 and it lack most of features mentioned on Liferay wiki page for proposals but:
1. Admin can define as many topics / newsletter lists as he wants.
2. Admin can deploy as many newsletter portlets as he wants.
3. Admin can configure what topics will be available to subscribe / unsubscribe in each newsletter portlet.
4. If there is only one lists defined for portlet it won’t show “choose your topic” lists.
5. Users can subcribe withour beign registered in portal
6. After signing up user will recieve confirmation email with “click this link to confirm” message
7. Admin can add user to topic manualy
8. Admin can add users by uploading CSV file
9. Admin can export all users to CSV file
10. Editor can compose email using WYSIWYG editor (with images too).
Roadmap for our newsletter portlet is:
1. Add abillity to send categorized / tagged web content
2. Send automaticaly web content using its “Publish date” field
3. Control Panel configuration page should be scope-aware
For couple of projects such functionality is enough. I wonder will it ever be done in Liferay CE. For now we’re thinking about releasing our portlet on double licence for free (non-profit, educational) and for commercial use similar to what MyOffice24x7 did with their Survey portlet. If you’re interested in this portlet – just call us or send us an email 🙂